About the University
Message from the President
Regional Development Means
Takashi Inoguchi, President
University of Niigata Prefecture:
Local Roots & Global Reach
As rapid globalization tears down conventional boundaries, and as political and cultural developments extend across the globe, we find ourselves facing fundamental changes in the ways that countries and societies exist and interrelate.
The University of Niigata Prefecture, opened in April 2009, was established to respond to these rapid changes, and to pursue educational and research activities that will contribute to the regeneration of our region.
To develop a region, you must develop its people. As we move further into the age of global competition, we must strive to cultivate an international mindset and perspective, to improve our communicative abilities, and to foster a deeper humanity that will allow for more meaningful communication and coexistence with people both near and far.
To these ends, we focus on the principles of "development of an international outlook," "emphasis on the local," and "cultivation of the whole person" as we work to produce graduates who will support the development of the Niigata area into an East Asian hub, and an area where children thrive and residents enjoy long, healthy, and stimulating lives.
To support these efforts, all faculty members give personal attention to each student, and all students work together to foster an academically stimulating and mutually supportive environment.
Takashi Inoguchi, President
Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo
- B.A., The University of Tokyo
- M.A., The University of Tokyo
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Associate Professor, Foreign Languages Dept., Sophia University
- Associate Professor, Institute of Oriental Culture, The University of Tokyo
- Professor, Institute of Oriental Culture, The University of Tokyo
- Professor, Dept. of Law, Chuo University
- President, University of Niigata Prefecture
- Committee on International Peace and Security, Social Science Research Council (US)
- Senior Vice President of United Nations University (UN ASG)
- Vice Secretary General of UMAP (University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific),
- Chairman, Japan Association of International Relations
- Committee member, MoJ Legislative Council
- United Nations Strategic Planning Committee (Chaired by Kofi Annan)
- Science Council of Japan
- Chair, Executive Committee, Asian Consortium for Political Research
- UNESCO International Committee of Peace Studies (Chaired by Dr. Henry Kissinger)
Political theory, Comparative politics, East Asian politics, Political economy, International relations, International security, International political economy